Today I sat in the cafe on the corner, pressed tight against the window in the sunlight, and I drank over-priced organic coffee and tried to focus on the negative aspects of nature. It isn't something I like to do, but it was for a paper. Before my thoughts became coherent and organized, it flitted through my mind the time I had sat in that exact same spot, early in September, and I had tried to take a picture of the person I was with, but they had turned sharply away and said "Don't; I don't want a picture taken of me." It was warmer then, and I had been deeply, soul-fully unhappy. I had walked out of the cafe after that incident, and I remember being vaguely self-conscious of my short skirt and wondering if people thought I was so pale because I was ill.
But tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day. I thought today was, and I wore a green scarf and cowboy boots and asked my friends out for beers. I didn't believe them at first, but of course I quickly found out they were right. I am excited for it, because these days I get excited over little things like that... I feel like they are the things that make life worth living.
20 Things That Make Me Happy These Days:
1) the melting snow and warm sun
2) talking with adults and asking intelligent questions and making them laugh
3) green beer
4) thinking about going on my dig this summer.
5) sitting in cafes and just thinking in general
6) wearing cowboy boots. They make you walk with attitude
7) treating any straight stretch of ground as a catwalk
8) hanging with my besties, K and S, even if it's just to watch old movies, or get dinner
9) baking Crack Pie (I'll post a recipe one of these days. It's so addictive and delicious.)
10) sitting in a bar with J-my-oh-my and listening to him comment on everyone and everything
11) fresh tulips and daffodils at work
12) having the house to myself in the mornings, and having leftover Chinese for breakfast
13) vanilla oreo's, pesto pasta, sate salmon, sushi, and Douglas Copeland (not all at once, haha)
14) dancing and singing along to Taylor Swift
15) wine that's served in a rooster-shaped jug
16) laughing in lecture hall at the prof's lame jokes, even when no one else does. I mean come on people, they're trying to be less boring here. You have to give them some credit.
17) interesting stories that Daniel from N.Y.C. sends me to read
18) being invisible/centre of attention. Both, in balance with each other.
19) dreaming about future plans, which involve much seeing of the world, and being truly good at what I do, and being interesting and doing exciting things and travelling for all eternity, and having a home-base full of the treasures I pick up, and helping humanity somehow, and never giving up hope that good exists, and other vague/lofty/noble ideas particular to my peers
20) connecting with people on a level different from just day-to-day interactions. I'm talking Jacquie's emails, and Postman's and Laura's comments, and deep talks with customers/co-workers at the cafe, philosophizing with sister D and Father, Mother's constant caring, laughing without reservation with brother J and other J, making eye-contact with that young busker in the subway, even when people stop me in the hall and say "I know you"... it provides the grease for the axle of my world.